Send SMS from an arduino

Ask, and ye shall receive.
MagnusL

Send SMS from an arduino

Postby MagnusL » 09:51, 25 Apr 2014

I need to send SMS from the Arduino. Can i use EvoThings to do that?

What ways can i use to connect the phone to the Arduino. want a setup that draws as little power as possible to be able to run on a battery for a long time.

/Magnus

Fredrik
Site Admin

Re: Send SMS from an arduino

Postby Fredrik » 11:06, 25 Apr 2014

Yes and no.

The Evothings Client doesn't have built-in SMS support, so you will have to compile it with the phonegap-sms-plugin added. Once you've done that, you will be able to use Evothings Studio to develop your app.

There are three ways to communicate between an Arduino and a Phone: WiFi, Ethernet and Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE). I haven't done any power usage measurements, but I suspect that BLE uses the least power.

MagnusL

Postby MagnusL » 11:55, 25 Apr 2014

Thank you,
Can i use a regular bluetooth connection as well? Arduino-Bluetooth dongle-Phone?

/Magnus

Fredrik
Site Admin

Postby Fredrik » 12:48, 25 Apr 2014

Sorry, no; as far as I know, there's no viable Cordova plugin for regular Bluetooth.

By the way, Arduino doesn't support dongles at all, only "shields".

MagnusL

Postby MagnusL » 14:24, 25 Apr 2014

OK,
I didn't mean a traditional BT dongle but rather a BT module with serial communication (or a BT shield). But i guess i need to head in another direction for this specific use.

Fredrik
Site Admin

Postby Fredrik » 14:32, 25 Apr 2014

I just remembered something: you could use an Arduino GSM Shield. It has built-in SMS sending and receiving.

MagnusL

Postby MagnusL » 14:58, 25 Apr 2014

Yes, The GSM shield is an alternative. I just thought i would try to use one of my old phones and save som money.

/Magnus

Eric

Postby Eric » 07:55, 28 Apr 2014

Your idea of using an old phone connected to an Arduino is excellent and relates to something we at Evothings has been thinking about quite frequently - refurbishing of old technology! I imagine many people having old unused mobile devices which could be used for many things. In the case of connecting it to an Arduino it could enable remote control and monitoring of something, like a distant summer house that lacks an internet connection.

If your old device is an Android device without BLE, an alternative to Evothings BLE plugin is to use cordovarduino. With this Cordova plugin your app on your Android device can communicate with the Arduino through a USB cable.
Hacker, tinkerer
EvoThings

MagnusL

Postby MagnusL » 08:54, 28 Apr 2014

That is exactly what i need. My project it to build a control system for my boat.Give me updates on some sensor data including an alarm if water is entering the boat. It can also be used as a tracker if the boat is stolen.

I have already ordered a GSM shield to the Arduino, but i will look into your solution anyway.

/Magnus

alex

Postby alex » 12:37, 29 Apr 2014

Local dealer Kjell & Company offer a water sensor that works fine with the Arduino:
http://www.kjell.com/sortiment/el/elekt ... ino-p87889

Return to “Questions and answers”