BLE Boards

Ask, and ye shall receive.
AndyB

BLE Boards

Postby AndyB » 20:01, 21 Apr 2014

Hi!
I'm new here! I looked at your BLE examples and figured it would be cool to do something with a BLE board. Could I use your BLE examples with a FemtoduinoBLE or an RFDuino, which one would recommend? I plan to get one of them, but would like it to be easy to integrate with an app.

Btw, Studio looks really neat!

Thanks!

Andy

micke

Re: BLE Boards

Postby micke » 11:14, 22 Apr 2014

Hi Andy!

We have been using the RedBearLab BLE shield for Arduino. I have also tested an example by patrikdj for RFduino, and fixed a bug on iOS he found. When writing to a characteristic on RFduino, the bug caused the app to trigger an assert and halt. May take some time before the fix is up on the AppStore, however. Have not used FemtoduinoBLE.

Thanks for the feedback!

Regards, Mikael

patrikdj

Postby patrikdj » 18:31, 22 Apr 2014

Hi,

I have only done some experiments using RFduino sofar, and I did not do any hands-on work with FemtoduinoBLE yet.
Seems to me that both RFduino and FemtoduinoBLE are small size nice form factor boards, and I will try to order one FemtoduinoBLE as well.

For the RFduino it's quite simple to get up and running. The example I did was for controlling a LED button over BLE. So I used one RFduino board and one RGB LED key button shield basically. (Also a USB shield is needed for programming). The mobile app just has 3 buttons, one for connect wirelessly to RFduino, and two buttons for toggling LED On/Off. Next small project I had in mind was to use the RFduino together with a prototype shield where I want to place a few sensors.

Here is one link where to buy RFduino: http://www.semiconductorstore.com/RF-Digital/

I have shared the example to Micke at Evothings and perhaps he can check if it can be made available together with the other examples?

Patrikdj

AndyB

Postby AndyB » 21:18, 22 Apr 2014

Hi!

Mikael and Patrik, thanks for your info, very helpful! Seems like the RFDuino would be a good choice. I'll order it and try it out with your example.

Thanks!

Andy

micke

Postby micke » 17:34, 23 Apr 2014

Hi again Andy,

Will make the example available to you somehow, you an contact me over email if you wish: mikael@evothings.com

The example works in the current Evothings Client for Android on Google Play, but the iOS client app on AppStore has the bug I mentioned. You can however build your own version if you have Xcode and a developer license. Would you like to have the Xcode project with the bugfix?

Best, Mikael

Return to “Questions and answers”