BLE Example and iOS

Ask, and ye shall receive.
uapp

BLE Example and iOS

Postby uapp » 09:17, 06 Jan 2016

Hello, we are testing the BLE example of EVOthings. On a Anroid phone it works. We see devices after scanning BLE. When we carry out the same example on an iPhone 5 with iOS 9.2, we see no devices. If you look at iOS under Bluetooth, you can see other devices. Bluetooth is on. Why is that? We have not changed the example. thank you

gokr

Re: BLE Example and iOS

Postby gokr » 16:20, 06 Jan 2016

I can look into this tomorrow, not sure why it doesn't work - IIRC we verified BLE scan works fine with 9.1.

uapp

Postby uapp » 22:17, 06 Jan 2016

I proceed as follows:
1. installed Workbench 2.0 BETA
2. Viewer app installed on iPad
3. Connect to Workbench on WIndows PC
4. Turn in Hot Spot on iPhone
5. iOS shows me the iphone 6 on BLE System Screen
4. Run BLE Example
5. Press Start Scanning
6. No devices are found

Do you have any idea?

alex

Postby alex » 23:42, 06 Jan 2016

Thanks for the heads-up!

We've found quite some reporting lately on changes in iOS 9.2 affecting both wifi and bluetooth services, especially from car manufacturers who have seen changes in the behaviour of connectivity. We've learnt that a beta for 9.2.1 is already send out to developers and early user groups since two days back, which usually means that a public release is imminent. Our thoughts lead to, especially since bluetooth is not mentioned as part of the 9.2 feature list, is that any inconsistency between system versions will be corrected.

Should it not be the case, we'll further investigate what steps and remedies need to be taken for iOS v9.2 to function as a BLE target platform.

best

Alex

gokr

Postby gokr » 09:20, 07 Jan 2016

Just ran some tests here at the office - on an Iphone 5s, latest update 9.2 (13C75). Ran BLE Scan straight from Examples tab and i see lots of BLE devices (our office is full of them): Kontakt, estimote etc. Also tried on my Xiaomi Mi3 (Android 4.4) and I see the same list of devices.

I am now upgrading an iPad to try it there too.

gokr

Postby gokr » 09:33, 07 Jan 2016

Also, the Bluetooth section in Settings only shows some kind of Bluetooth subset (mine doesn't show anything right now and Andreas' phone here only shows three devices, neither being a BLE device). Some advice:

- Install Lighblue Explorer to verify you can see BLE devices.
- Install "iBeacon Scanner" on your iOS device and use the menu option "Turn this device into an iBeacon". Then it should be seen in the BLE Scan list (and in Lightblue) at least, however possibly with "Unnamed" as identifier or such.

I just ran BLE Scan on an updated iPad too and it works there too.

regards, Göran

micke

Postby micke » 10:02, 07 Jan 2016

@uapp Which BLE devices do you have?

Return to “Questions and answers”