Arduino Ethernet Shield and Router

Ask, and ye shall receive.
jamesroodney

Arduino Ethernet Shield and Router

Postby jamesroodney » 23:22, 11 Sep 2015

I've got a router (Linksys E2000) with dd-wrt in client mode connected to an arduino UNO running the Ethernet Light sketch. The serial monitor shows me the server IP but that's it, and the App can't find a workbench and gives me an error/time out message when I try to connect to the IP I get from the serial monitor. I believe this has to do with the Linksys router having a different subnet than my primary router, that is my primary 192.168.10.x and the linksys static WAN is 192.168.10.147 but it's giving the Arduino a 192.168.1.x LAN IP. Would this be the issue? I have tried setting the client router(linksys) LAN to the same subnet but that just crashed dd-wrt (ie I was unable to connect to the router with any IP's). What am I missing? Thanks!
I should also note that I turned off the client router firewall and placed it into DMZ on my primary router, not sure if that's the only thing I need to do about security getting in the way...

jamesroodney

Re: Arduino Ethernet Shield and Router

Postby jamesroodney » 00:14, 12 Sep 2015

Ok so I realized I should be using Client Bridged to be in the same subnet, followed the instructions to switch and am now on the same (192.168.10.x) subnet as the router. Also tried adding a virtual server entry for port 4042 on my primary router and moved the ethernet shield IP into the DMZ. Still not connecting, what else am I missing?

jamesroodney

Postby jamesroodney » 02:11, 12 Sep 2015

I noticed that I can ping the IP of the arduino. Also occasionally the router status will list both the arduino and the tablet (with the EVO app) but only while I am manually trying to connect and not every time either, and both disappear from the list once the connection attempt is over.

Fredrik
Site Admin

Postby Fredrik » 11:57, 12 Sep 2015

I'm confused about what you're trying to do, and what does or doesn't work.

Generally, I can say that to make connections easy, you need to have all three devices (PC, tablet/phone and Arduino) on the same subnet. You connect the Client on the tablet to the Workbench on the PC, [RUN] the app, then connect app on the tablet to the Arduino.

Messing around with the router is probably good only when you want to expose the Arduino to the Internet.

jamesroodney

Postby jamesroodney » 02:34, 13 Sep 2015

Thanks for your reply!
I was just trying out the EVO app with the LED on/off example on this site, I am looking for a way to monitor my well remotely and have manual control of the pump through EVO. I do have everything on the same subnet but still get a timeout message with the EVO app. I have been able to use another arduino sketch to communicate wirelessly with the arduino so the connections are all fine, but I am unable to get any response from the arduino when I use the EVO sketch. The serial monitor shows me the correct IP, my setup is like this:

192.168.10.107 PC (wired)
|
|
192.168.10.1 Gateway (Primary Router)
WIFI Connection
{ }
} {
192.168.10.101 Tablet

192.168.10.147 DD-WRT Router (Client Bridged Mode)
|
|
192.168.10.105 Arduino Ethernet Shield

This setup works using this sketchhttp://arduinoguides.blogspot.ca/2012/05/ethernet-shield-guide-for-arduino.html. I can successfully change the state of the arduino pins by changing the URL. But I was hoping to use the existing app infrastructure that EVO has so I don't need to start from scratch...
Would there be something getting in the way of the tablet communicating with the arduino? Are there settings on the primary or secondary router that I need to change to enable the communication?

Fredrik
Site Admin

Postby Fredrik » 12:10, 13 Sep 2015

I'm afraid you may have encountered a bug in the Evothings Client's TCP plugins, which causes difficulty connecting to Arduinos. I noticed it about a week ago.

Here is an Android client I built from source just now. It has updated TCP plugins and should work better. Remove your current client, then install this.

https://evothings.com/uploads/client/EvothingsClient_1.3.0_alpha1.apk

jamesroodney

Postby jamesroodney » 15:38, 13 Sep 2015

Thanks, I installed the new version and get a different error message now (when trying manual connect): ERR_CACHE_MISS
The arduino serial monitor still shows the correct IP.

Fredrik
Site Admin

Postby Fredrik » 16:24, 13 Sep 2015

Sorry, I have no idea what that error means. Never seen it before.

Fredrik
Site Admin

Postby Fredrik » 17:08, 13 Sep 2015

I don't think so; the client has all the permissions it needs.

Return to “Questions and answers”