Endless Reloading

Ask, and ye shall receive.
JEastburn

Endless Reloading

Postby JEastburn » 21:11, 05 Feb 2015

I've been modifying code from the examples folder to prototype a design I am working on. Everything was working fine and dandy until I got my new computer (Windows 7, 64 bit). Now I am getting an honestly baffling problem when I run the Evothings workbench from my new computer: I can get my iphone client to connect just fine, and if I run any unmodified code it works just fine. When I try to run the example which I've modified for my own purposes it shows the initial index screen, but continuously reloads as if I were constantly saving a new version.

This tells me I must have written my code poorly and made a mistake, so I revert to a version from before I got the new computer and I continue to get the same problem. When I try running any unmodified code, it works just fine.

Next step I try running the workbench from my old computer and it works just fine too.

Then I tried opening an unmodified example and re-saving it (again, still unmodified) on my new computer. This causes the endless re-fresh problem to happen.

I tried opening the bugged version (yet unmodified) on my old computer and re-saving it, to see if the new computer is somehow corrupting things, and again I am getting endless refresh when run from the workbench on the new computer (yet still no problem running from the old computer's workbench).

I can't help but think it must be a network problem of some sort, but I am baffled by the fact that the default examples work just fine. (I reverted to some saved backup versions I had and they work without endless refresh).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. There is no way I should have to keep this old vista machine around when I have a brand new i7!

ardiri

Re: Endless Reloading

Postby ardiri » 10:27, 06 Feb 2015

do you still have the file open in the editor?

i personally use "vi" (yes, start the flame wars if needed) and it interferes with file enough constantly that even just moving around in the editor causes the application to be pushed out. Evothings Studio is designed to monitor when a file changes (ie: press save) and pushes out a new version when this is detected. there could be some external interference with the editor you are using - can you provide more information?
// Aaron
Chief Technology Officer
Evothings AB http://www.evothings.com/

micke

Re: Endless Reloading

Postby micke » 11:48, 06 Feb 2015

Hi J,

Might this be caused by the new Windows version indexing files and updates hidden files in the project folder?

Or the editor saving back up files.

How frequent are the reloads?

If you leave the system for some minutes, can you make a listing of all files in your project folder and see the modification date? (Also for hidden files.) It could be worth testing with a project folder that contains just one file, like the "Hello World" example.

Let me know how it goes.

Best regards, Mikael

Return to “Questions and answers”