This guide refers to features no longer supported
We no longer maintain the Cordova plugin for Estimote Beacons. We recommend using the generic iBeacon plugin instead, which works nicely with Estimote Beacons. Please see the iBeacon Starter Guide for further details.
What you need to get started
Here is what you need:
- Estimote Beacons (order at the Estimote web site)
- Evothings Studio (download for OS X, Windows or Linux)
- Evothings Client app (install on iOS or Android phones/tables, get it from Apple App Store or Google Play)
- WiFi network that allows client connections
- Basic knowledge of Evothings Studio (you can learn as you go through this tutorial)
- To build native apps you need the Apache Cordova build tools
Useful background knowledge
If you are new to Evothings Studio, read the Introduction in the documentation to get a basic understanding of the development tools used.
Run the Estimote Beacons example app
The easiest way to get going is to explore the Estimote Beacons example app that comes with the Evothings Studio download:
- Launch Evothings Workbench on your computer
- Launch Evothings Client on your mobile phone(s), press SCAN and connect to the Workbench running on your computer
- Locate the example app “Estimote Beacons” in the Workbench project list
- Click RUN
Then make some changes to the code:
- Click CODE – this open a file browser with the source code of the app
- Open a code file in a text editor and make some changes, for example, open index.html and change the h1 header tag text.
- Save the file
- The app now reloads on the connected device(s) and displays your updates
Watch the video in the Estimote getting started blog post to see the above steps in action.
How to create your own Estimote app
A project should have one main HTML file, which is the file launched when the app starts. This file is typically named “index.html”. Just drag and prop your main HTML file into the Workbench project list and then click RUN.
Here is a summary of the steps to create an app for use with Evothings Studio:
- Create a folder for the app
- Drag the main HTML file into the Workbench window
- Click RUN
A quick way to create a custom app is to just copy an example app and modify it. You can use Estimote Beacons or Beacon Finder as a starting point.
- Plugin home page
- Beacon Finder example app
- Source code for the example app
Beacon Finder example app
The Beacon Finder example app demonstrates more parts of the API compared to the Estimote Beacons example.
You can run the Beacon Finder app in Evothings Client, and you can also build a native app using Cordova.
Follow these steps to run Beacon Finder in Evothings Client:
- Download the files on GitHub (or use git clone)
- Open the folder examples/beacon-finder/www in a file browser
- Drag file index.html and drop it in the project list in Evothings Workbench
- Connect to the Workbench from Evothings Client
- Click RUN on the project entry